Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Good Reads for Fun

From the New Yorker:  New Parenting Study Released
"A recent study has shown that if American parents read one more long-form think piece about parenting they will go fucking ape shit."

From the Atlantic (another long-form think piece about parenting):  The Overprotected Kid
I'm still making my way through this one.  (While keeping an eye from the living room on Waylon, who is outside by himself trying to catch a soccer ball in a butterfly net) : )

Update: finally finished it while Waylon napped and June and Georgia went outside to set up a pallet of tarp, towels, and sleeping bags.  For the record, Hanna Rosin really irks me sometimes, but I did like this article.  I agree with many of the points she made, but I also recognize that I am the mother of a child who, by her own doing (in my biased opinion, anyway), did not want to venture more than four feet from her caregiver's side (at playgrounds or otherwise) for about four and a half years.  We also now live on a block that geographically makes it hard for me to envision our children safely wandering very far on their own in the next several years, but perhaps the passage of time will make me more open-minded about that possibility.   

Sleep advice from an exhausted mom.  (For my new mama friends or anyone who's ever tried to put a baby to bed.  I'm a Weissbluth fan, but this still cracked me up because it's so true.)

Or for those of you past the baby years:  How to Put a Toddler to Bed in 100 Easy Steps
I think our 100 steps are slightly different from these, but still, 100 steps.  And the article could aptly be re-titled, "How to Put a Toddler, Preschooler, or Kindergartner to Bed in 100 Easy Steps" because most nights Waylon is not the difficult one around here.  He's just learning the ropes of stalling.  

1 comment:

Emily said...

so true, so true.
and now i am off to turn the nightlight back on.